Now that we’re in the last few weeks of winter, it’s time to think about warmer weather, opening the windows, and of course doing some spring cleaning. Speaking of cleaning, have you stopped to consider how clean the air is within your home? You might be surprised to learn that the air you and your family breathe each day may contain pollutants such as:
- Volatile Organic Compounds
- Dust Mites
- Pet Dander
- Smoke & Dust
Over time this can negatively affect your health in a number of ways, including aggravated allergies, increased chance for asthma attacks via airborne triggers, and illness caused by reactions to poisonous toxins and bacteria in the air.
Here are 5 ways you can stay healthy by maintaining high indoor air quality in your home:
1. Cleaning Your Air Conditioner
- – One of the best things you can do is to clean your air conditioner inside and out on a regular basis. A properly maintained AC will not only help keep your air clean (and you healthy), but the system will also function more efficiently and last longer, thus saving you money.
2. Replace Your Air Filters
- – Changing or cleaning your air filters regularly is one of the easiest and most important parts of air conditioner and furnace maintenance. These air filters are your number one line of defense against all manner of indoor air pollutants, but if they become saturated, they can no longer do their job.
- – Air ducts circulate your air throughout your home and happen to also be a very attractive place for dust, pollen, mold and other contaminants to collect. Every few years it’s important to have your ducts professionally cleaned to ensure they aren’t harboring dangerous contaminants that can spread throughout your home. How long since you’ve had your ducts cleaned? Have you ever?
- – Proper humidity balance not only means improved comfort, but it also helps to minimize dust problems. Low humidity leads to more dead skin and dust in the house, while high humidity can promote the development of dust mites.
5. Electronic Air Cleaners – An electronic air cleaner can remove up to 99.98% of airborne allergens from all the air that is heated or cooled, making it 100 times more effective than a 1” filter.
Contact us to learn more about how to improve your indoor air quality!